K-1 Fiancée Visas

Uniting Families Through K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas

In keeping with the U.S. immigration policy’s underlying principle of uniting families, the K-1 visa allows a U.S. citizen to petition for a fiancé(e) to enter the United States and, once married, become a lawful permanent resident. Many times, obtaining a K-1 visa is the first step to becoming a U.S. citizen.

The experienced immigration attorneys at Henry & Grogan in Philadelphia help foreign nationals permanently relocate to the U.S. on a K-1 visa and many other visas. A misstep at any point during the K-1 visa process could cause delays. Our services ensure that you follow proper protocol. In most instances, we work with clients in this area on a flat-fee basis.

Understanding The Process And Requirements

In most instances, the parties involved must have met in person within the past two years, and must be able to marry within 90 days of the foreign national’s arrival in the United States. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) may waive the requirement to meet in person if the couple can demonstrate that meeting would violate a K-1 visa beneficiary’s culturally strict custom or if it would cause extreme hardship to a U.S. citizenship petition.

The K-1 visa process begins with a U.S. citizen filing an I-129F petition for a fiancé(e) visa with USCIS. This initial step currently takes several months, so it is important to begin working with an experienced immigration lawyer early. Once the I-129F petition is approved, the foreign national applicant must complete an interview at the U.S. consulate in his or her country of residence. If the applicant successfully demonstrates eligibility for the K-1 visa, he or she will be allowed to enter the United States and get married.

Once the marriage has occurred, the K-1 visa holder must apply for a spousal visa and adjust his or her status in order to become a lawful permanent resident. The applicant will receive conditional permanent residency and must petition for removal of conditions two years after obtaining conditional permanent residency.

Schedule A Meeting With A Knowledgeable K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Attorney

We welcome the opportunity to answer your questions about fiancé(e) visas or any immigration issue, whether it is family-based or employment-based. You can schedule a free consultation using our online contact form or by calling 215-568-1500.

We represent clients in Greater Philadelphia and throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania.