Who you can petition to bring to the US

Who you can petition to bring to the US

Living in a country far from your family can be difficult. If you are a citizen of the United States, or a lawful permanent resident, and would like to petition to have a family member come to the United States, you likely have many questions, including under what approach it can be done. While individuals who are your immediate relatives can seek an immigrant visa immediately, there is a procedure in place for those who fall into other categories.

There are four category preferences that a family member might fall into. The first, is an unmarried son or daughter who is 21 years or older.

There are two second preferences. 2A pertains to unmarried individuals who are under the age of 21 and whose parents are permanent residents, or spouses of individuals who have green cards. 2B pertains to those who are 21 years old or older, unmarried and who have parents who are permanent residents to sponsor them.

The third preference is for married daughters and sons of people who are U.S. citizens, regardless of their age.

Last, the fourth preference is sisters and brothers of individuals who are adults and are U.S. citizens.

While there are multiple steps to petitioning for a relative to secure permanent resident status, the first step for all is to file a Petition for Alien Relative, also referred to as form I-130.

It can be difficult for people in need of immigration assistance to know what steps to take. Because the process is so complicated, the sooner one contacts an immigration lawyer for help, the better. Such an individual can identify possible approaches and determine the best way to proceed.